Choosing the right contractor is the first step towards starting an energy retrofit or energy efficient new construction project. This page provides some resources and information to help find the right contractor for your project.
Information about Working with Contractors
- Get it In Writing! – Canadian Home Builders’ Association’s guide on hiring and working with a contractor.
- Tips on hiring a contractor – FortisBC has some helpful tips on hiring a contractor.
- Hiring a Contractor FAQs – frequently asked questions about hiring and working with contractors.
Find a Contractor*
Use the following directories to help you find a contractor for your project. We recommend calling multiple contractors to ensure that they can meet your time frame, the scope of the project, and are well qualified for the job.
Many people have success finding contractors based on recommendations from family, friends and neighbours, or by searching the directories below.
- Better Business Bureau – find contractors in your area
- Technical Safety BC – find licensed residential, commercial and industrial contractors in BC
- FortisBC Trade Ally Network – find a natural gas contractor
- Fortis BC Electrical Contractor Program – find an electrical contractor in the FortisBC Electric Territory
Find a Builder/Renovator*
- Canadian Home Builders’ Association
- Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association
- Victoria Residential Builders Association
If you are looking for an Energy Advisor, visit our Energy Advisor Search Tool.
*Disclaimer: The directories and resources listed on this page are for informational purposes only. EfficiencyBC and its partners do not endorse or guarantee contractors or their services. It is your responsibility to interview and select a contractor that meets your needs.