As a part of the Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, FortisBC is offering a $1,000 rebate for replacing your current water heater with a high-efficiency natural gas water heater. Tankless/on-demand and storage tank systems are eligible. This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
|Water Heater||Rebate Amount|
|High-efficiency storage tank||$200|
|Ultimate high-efficiency tankless (condensing)||$1000|
|Ultimate high-efficiency storage tank (condensing)||$1,000|
- You must be a FortisBC, BC Hydro, or municipal utility customer.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, or propane is the primary heating fuel for the home. Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- The natural gas water heater must be on the list of qualifying models.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible natural gas water heater and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- If you have only upgraded your water heater, you may choose to submit the FortisBC Water Heater Program Application Form instead; however, you must submit the Application Package within 60 days of the water heater purchase date.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted after the second bonus-eligible upgrade is installed, and within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation, and after your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Learn more about gas water heaters and find out which model is right for you.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, check out our FAQ “What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?”
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.