As a part of the Regional District of Nanaimo’s Green Building Program, homeowners and builders can access rebates between $500 and $1,000 for developing high-performance building projects, and achieving a high score on the Sustainable Development Checklist.
There are three levels to rebates that are available:
Rebates are administered based on which minimum score your home must achieve in order to qualify for the incentive. The minimum score is based on the square footage of the home, and how many bedrooms the home has. Achieving a higher score Check out page 4 of the Sustainable Development Checklist to see the minimum score your home must meet.
Your score is calculated as:
- EnerGuide Rating + Bonus Points = Total Score
Bonus Points are points acquired with the Sustainable Development Checklist. Homeowners and owner-builders can pursue additional points through two different options to achieve a higher Checklist score:
- Option A: Shortcut. The project has achieved an eligible building standard, including LEED or ENERGY STAR.
- Option B: Step-by-step. The project receives points for including energy efficiency upgrades in the project.
- Must be a resident in the District of Lantzville and Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Areas A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H.
- Applications must be made after program start date of May 1, 2013.
- You must include your EnerGuide rating and include the first page of the energy report.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the Green Building Program terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Review the Sustainable Development Checklist as early as possible in the project to take advantage of all possible opportunities.
- Contact the Regional District of Nanaimo for a free project consultation at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-877-607-4111. The RDN staff will specify necessary supporting documentation for the checklist, such as photos, receipts, and drawings.
- Submit the checklist to the Regional District of Nanaimo by email, mail, or in person at the RDN Administration Building:
Sustainable Development Checklist
c/o Sustainability Coordinator
Regional District of Nanaimo
6300 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2
- Checklist must be submitted within six months of project completion.
- If your development falls into the following categories, you do not need to complete the Checklist:
- Large-scale master-planned residential or mixed-use development
- Subdivision and rezoning
- Incentives are limited, and are administered on a first come, first-served basis.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.