Have questions? Get in touch with an Contact an Energy Coach at 1 (844) 881.9790 or email
See all incentives

The Provincial Commercial New Construction Program provides funding for the design and construction of new high-performance buildings that use high-efficiency electricity in place of fossil fuels, in order to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

The Program supports electrification measures focused on the building heating system (space heating, ventilation, service hot water heating, and heat recovery systems).

Available Incentives

  1. Energy Study Incentive up to $15,000.
    • Paid upon approval of the energy study and review of applicable invoices.
  2. Capital Incentives up to $500,000.
    • Capital incentives are based on the amount of GHGs reduced and are relative to the baseline building code of the project:
      i. $40/t CO2e for B.C. Building Code baseline
      ii. $60/t CO2e for Step 2 baseline
      iii. $70/t CO2e for Step 3 or Step 4 baseline
    • The capital incentive will be paid in two installments: a 25% pre-payment (up to a maximum of $100,000), upon project acceptance and signed incentive agreement and the remaining 75% upon completion of a project inspection to verify the energy impacts of the electrification measures.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. You must have a Key Account Manager
  2. The building(s) must be in BC Hydro service territory, including New Westminster
  3. The Project must:
    • Result in at least 400 t CO2e in lifetime GHG savings
    • Involve a technology that provides net electrical load growth
    • Be new construction or major building renovation1
    • Be at the end of the concept design stage

1Major building renovations are defined as one of the following, all of which require a building permit and certified building plans by a licensed professional:

  • Change of use and reconstruction of an existing building space or space within; or
  • Change Construction work of a nature requiring the building or space within to be out of service for at least 30 consecutive days; or
  • Renovations that are worth at least 50% of the existing building’s value and impact the building envelope.

How to Apply

  1. Read all materials, including the Consultant Orientation Manual, Energy Modelling Guidelines and download the New Construction Workbook.
  2. Contact your BC Hydro Key Account Manager to discuss your project and complete the ‘Pre-Screen’ tab of the New Construction Workbook.

Deadlines

  1. You have 9 months from the date of the signed Energy Study Agreement to complete the energy study.
  2. You have 36 months from the date of the signed Capital Incentive Agreement to implement the project.

Program Contact Information

  • For further information please contact your BC Hydro Key Account Manager.
  • If a customer does not have a Key Account Manager they should contact BC Hydro’s Business Help Desk at  incentives@bchydro.com,
    • 604 522 4713 in the Lower Mainland,
    • 1 866 522 4713 elsewhere in B.C.

Get solutions for common problems & learn about energy efficient upgrades.