As part of the Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, you can receive up to $5,500 in rebates for installing insulation in your home. Insulation can help maintain more even temperatures throughout your home, reduce unwanted outdoor noise, and reduce heat loss during the cold winter months. Insulation upgrades can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- Rebates are calculated based on the R-value of new insulation added and not the total combined final R-value of the new and pre-existing insulation, including in cases where the pre-existing insulation is removed.
|Location Installed||Rebate Amount||Minimum R-value Added||Maximum Rebate|
|Attic – flat and cathedral ceiling||$0.02 x R-value x square feet||R12||$900|
|Exterior wall cavities||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R12||$1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R3.8||$1,200|
|Basement/crawlspace walls||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R10||$1,200|
|Other (exposed floor, floor over crawlspace*, basement header)||$0.07 x R-value x square feet||R20||$1,000|
*Rebate available for crawlspace walls OR floor over crawlspace, but not both.
- The invoice date for the installed insulation must be on or after September 28, 2018.
- Your upgrades must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work.
- You must have a residential utility account with FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility.
- Your home must be primarily heated with:
- Natural Gas or piped-propane supplied by FortisBC
- Electricity supplied by FortisBC, BC Hydro, or a municipal utility
- Oil or propane not supplied FortisBC
- Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- The insulation must be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the installation work and in accordance with the BC Standards of Practice Guide for Air Sealing and Insulation Retrofits.
- Eligible insulation types are rolls or batts, blown-in, loose fill, rigid board, and spray foam.
- Pest infestations and rodent tunnels in the insulation must be resolved prior to installation of new insulation. Presence of a pest infestation in the new insulation must be remediated to receive the rebate.
- A minimum rebate value of $500 is required for each insulation location to be eligible for either the Two Upgrade Bonus or Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility, the upgrade requirements, and the documentation requirements.
- Have your insulation installed by a licensed contractor.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Rebates are issued based on the date of the invoice.
- If you installed upgrades prior to April 01, 2019, see What if I started my renovations before the April 01 2019 Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program update?
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, see What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?
- Learn more about insulation upgrades by reading our insulation FAQs.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.