As part of the Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, you can receive up to $5,500 in rebates for installing insulation in your home. These upgrades can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- Rebates are calculated based on the R-value of new insulation added and not the total combined final R-value of the new and pre-existing insulation, including in cases where the pre-existing insulation is removed.
|Location Installed||Rebate Amount||Minimum R-value Added||Maximum Rebate|
|Attic – flat and cathedral ceiling||$0.02 x R-value x square feet||R12||$900|
|Exterior wall cavities||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R12||$1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R3.8||$1,200|
|Basement/crawlspace walls||$0.09 x R-value x square feet||R10||$1,200|
|Other (exposed floor, floor over crawlspace*, basement header)||$0.07 x R-value x square feet||R20||$1,000|
*Rebate available for crawlspace walls OR floor over crawlspace, but not both.
- The insulation must be installed on or after September 28, 2018.
- The home must be primarily heated with electricity or natural gas provided by BC Hydro, FortisBC, a municipal utility or with piped propane supplied by FortisBC.
- Homes heated with oil or propane must convert to electricity or natural gas before they can access this rebate.
- The insulation must be installed in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- The insulation must be installed by a contractor with a valid BC business license and in accordance with the BC Standards of Practice Guide for Air Sealing and Insulation Retrofits.
- Eligible insulation types are rolls or batts, blown-in, loose fill, rigid board, and spray foam.
- Pest infestations and rodent tunnels in the insulation must be resolved prior to installation of new insulation.
- A minimum rebate value of $500 is required for each insulation location to be eligible for either the Two Upgrade Bonus or Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
How to Apply
- Carefully read the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility, the upgrade requirements, and the documentation requirements.
- Have your insulation installed by a contractor with a valid BC business license.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted after the second bonus-eligible upgrade is installed, and within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation, and after your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Learn more about insulation upgrades by reading our insulation FAQs.
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, check out our FAQ “What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?”
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.