The Home Energy Improvement Bonus is a rebate of up to $2000 for installing three or more eligible energy efficiency upgrades between two EnerGuide home evaluations. Receive $20 for every percentage you reduce your EnerGuide rating (Gigajoule/ year) between your pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluations. For more information see ” How does the home Energy Improvement Bonus work?” and “How much will my incentive be for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus?“.
- You must be a FortisBC, BC Hydro, or municipal utility customer.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, or propane is the primary heating fuel for the home. Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- You must complete a pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation before installing bonus eligible upgrades and a post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation after finishing the installation of your upgrades.
- You must install a minimum of three bonus-eligible upgrades within 18 months of the date of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- The pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation must be completed on or after September 28, 2018. The post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation must be completed after September 28, 2018.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
In addition to all eligibility requirements for the individual rebates, you must meet the requirements as listed below:
- Insulation – must have a minimum rebate value of $500 per location. Eligible locations are attic, exterior wall cavity, exterior wall sheathing and basement and crawlspace walls. Each location is considered one upgrade.
- Primary heating system (mini-split air source heat pump, central system air source heat pump, combination space and water heat pump, natural gas furnace or boiler) – a maximum of one system is eligible for the rebate.
- Secondary heating system (natural gas fireplace) – a maximum of one fireplace can be counted toward the bonus and must replace an existing gas fireplace.
- Water Heater (heat pump water heater, natural gas water heater) – a maximum of one hot water system can be counted towards the bonus.
- Windows and doors – must replace a minimum of 5 windows (rebate value of $250).
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Complete a pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation with a Program-Qualified Energy Advisor.
- Install three or more bonus-eligible upgrades.
- Complete a post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Complete the online application and upload copies of your supporting documentation within 6 months after completing your post-retrofit energy evaluation. See sample invoices.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted after the second bonus-eligible upgrade is installed, and within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation, and after your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- You can receive the Home Energy Improvement Bonus or the Two Upgrade Bonus, but not both.
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, check out our FAQ “What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?”
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.