The Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program is offering a $1,000 rebate for upgrading your current water heater to a qualifying electric heat pump water heater. This upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- The heat pump water heater must be installed on or after September 28, 2018.
- You must be a FortisBC, BC Hydro, or municipal utility customer.
- You must live in an eligible home.
- The home must have a minimum of 12 months of consecutive utility billing history.
- Your heat pump water heater must be found on the eligible models list. Only models listed in Tier 2 or higher are eligible for the rebate.
- Add-on systems, split systems and combination space and water heating systems must be replacing an existing natural gas, oil, or propane water heater, and require pre-approval from the Province prior to installation to confirm eligibility. Click here for more information.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase a qualifying tier 2 or 3 heat pump water heater and have it installed by a contractor with a valid BC business license.
- Once your upgrades are installed, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices. Don’t forget to include a photo of the installed model and a photo of the license plate. If you are converting from natural gas, oil or propane to a heat pump water heater, you must include proof of the removal of your previous water heater.
- The application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted after the second bonus-eligible upgrade is installed, and within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation, and after your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- Learn more about heat pump water heaters.
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, check out our FAQ “What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?”
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.
- This rebate is funded, in part, by the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.