Better Buildings BC: The Net-Zero Energy-Ready Challenge is a provincial incentive program and juried competition designed to support, promote and celebrate the design and construction of net-zero energy-ready buildings. The program provides incentives to builders and developers of multi-family, commercial, and institutional buildings that are designed to achieve the top tier of the BC Energy Step Code. Those targeting the Passive House Institute’s Passive House standard are also eligible to apply. The Province will celebrate the successful applicants as leaders, and showcase the projects that ultimately emerge from the program as leading examples of innovative, energy-efficient designs.
- The project is located in the province of British Columbia;
- The project is a new Part 3 construction project or a major building renovation of a Part 3 building;
- An application (e.g. Rezoning, Development Permit) has been submitted to a municipality, and/or the project owner, or an affiliate (as defined in the Business Corporations Act) of the project owner, has secured title to the lands for the project in question or has entered into a binding agreement for the purchase of the lands for the project in question;
- The project has not yet received a Building Permit.
- Projects must not have received or applied for a Building Permit at the time of submitting an Expression of Interest. However, projects that have received one at the time of full Program Application will still be eligible to participate in the Program.
How to Apply
- Read all materials, including the Program Page, Program Manual, Appendix A: EOI, Appendix B: Program Application (Excel). Contact the Program Administrator, if you have any further questions.
- Submit the Expression of Interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When submitting the Expression of Interest, all design team members including the developer, should be made aware of the submission of an EOI
- Expressions of interest must be submitted to the Program Administrator no later than 11:59pm on November 30 2018
- For additional information about benefits, eligibility, program structure, and frequently asked questions, refer to the Program Page
- (BC Hydro) Major Building Renovations are defined as one of the following for which requires a building permits and certified buildings plans by a licensed professional.
- Change of use and reconstruction of an existing building space or space within; or
- Change Construction work of a nature requiring the building or space within to be out of service for at least 30 consecutive days; or
- The renovations are worth at least 50% of the existing building’s value and impact the building envelope.
Program Contact Information
- Lisa Westerhoff email@example.com