FortisBC is offering a rebate of $300 for upgrading to a high-efficiency natural gas EnerChoice gas fireplace.
- You must be a FortisBC residential natural gas customer.
- Electricity, natural gas, oil, or propane is the primary heating fuel for the home.
- Homes primarily heated by wood or other solid fossil fuels are not eligible.
- To count the upgrade towards the Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, the natural gas fireplace must:
- The EnerChoice rated, free-standing stove, fireplace or insert you purchase must be on the eligible model list. (Note: not all EnerChoice models qualify for a rebate.)
- The product must be direct-vented (sealed) and not using a standing pilot.
- Any number of fireplaces may be installed in the home and qualify for a rebate.
- A maximum of one fireplace upgrade can count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus.
- To count towards the Two Upgrade Bonus or the Home Energy Improvement Bonus the EnerChoice fireplace must be replacing an existing gas fireplace in the home.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Purchase an eligible EnerChoice natural gas fireplace and have it installed by a licensed gas contractor.
- If you are applying through the Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, complete the online application and upload all supporting documentation including copies of all receipts and invoices. See sample invoices.
- If you are applying through FortisBC, complete the FortisBC Fireplace Program Application Form instead.
- The online application form for individual upgrades must be submitted within 6 months of the invoice date of the upgrade.
- If you have are applying through the FortisBC, you must submit your application within 60 days of the fireplace purchase date.
- The application form for the Two Upgrade Bonus must be submitted within 6 months of the second bonus-eligible upgrade. You must complete your second bonus-eligible upgrade within 18 months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- The application form for the Home Energy Improvement Bonus and EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate must be submitted within 6 months of the date of your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation. You must complete your post-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation within 18 months of your pre-retrofit EnerGuide home evaluation.
- FortisBC’s EnerChoice® Fireplace Rebate Program has been expanded to strata residents. Often the gas account in a strata is set up as a commercial customer in the strata’s name, making it previously ineligible. However, effective April 3, 2018 strata residents can now apply for the $300 rebate with their strata’s permission. Full details including the new application form are posted on FortisBC’s fireplace webpage. Strata residents cannot use this rebate towards the Home Renovation Rebate Program Bonus Offer unless the customer has a FortisBC account in their name and the home is individually metered.
- If you installed upgrades prior to April 01, 2019, see What if I started my renovations before the April 01 2019 Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program update?
- If you installed upgrades prior to September 28th, 2018, see What if I started my renovations before the launch of the new Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC program?
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades rebates.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.