What are the benefits of energy efficient buildings?
Canada’s commercial building sector is a significant energy user and producer of carbon emissions. It includes a range of building types, including offices, hospitals, schools, and more. Buildings retrofitted to higher energy-efficiency standards provide multiple benefits to those who own and occupy them, including:
- Long-term energy and cost savings: an energy efficient building will have the advantage of lower energy, water, and maintenance costs.
- Lower emissions and overall environmental impact: energy efficient buildings have lower greenhouse gas emissions due to their reduced reliance on fossil fuels. Buildings that use primarily clean energy such as hydroelectricity have the lowest emissions.
- Better thermal comfort: well-designed mechanical systems and building components work together to manage comfortable indoor temperatures.
- Improved comfort and health: continuous ventilation and fresh air throughout the building can lead to better well-being with occupants and as a result, a more productive workforce.
- Higher Value: businesses and consumers see the value in energy efficient buildings, and as a result there is a premium associated with buying or leasing space in well-built, energy efficient buildings.
Check out our resources for commercial buildings for more information.
See FortisBC’s Energy-Saving Tips for Business.